Updated May 3, 2012
On this page we'll link to recent news concerning education. The content will focus on education funding in California, but we may also post other stories as well. Check back often as we'll be updating this page frequently.
Mill Valley School District
- School Board Backs $196 Parcel Tax (Patch, 5/3/2012)
- Public District Supporters Ramp Up Campaign (Patch, 3/2/2012)
- December Update from Superintendent Paul Johnson (12/2011)
- Garbarino Elected President of Marin County Board of Education (Marin I.J. 12/16/2011)
- Mill Valley Led Marin Growth Last Year (Marin I.J. 5/1/2012)
- Novato, San Rafael Mull Teacher Layoffs (Marin I.J. 2/24/2012)
In early January Governor Brown released his proposed budget for next year (click here for background on the state budget process).
- Parents Fear Budget Cuts Could Slash Child Care Subsidies (Marin I.J. 1/23/12)
- Brown's Budget Proposal Gives Voters Stark Choice (S.F. Chronicle 1/8/12)
- Jerry Brown's Budget Proposes Killing Transitional Kindegarten Funds (Sac. Bee 1/7/12)
- Gov. Brown's New Budget Plan Targets Schools (L.A. Times 1/6/12)
The most recent state budget made some optimistic projections in terms of state revenue. As expected, Gov. Brown recently announced additional cuts that will be necessary to keep the budget balanced. These cuts include significant cuts to education funding.
- Gov. Jerry Brown Says Schools Are in 'Good Shape' to Dodge Cuts (Sac. Bee 12/27/11)
- Statewide Education Groups Decry Budget Cuts (L.A. Times 12/14/2011)
- California, With Revenue Shortfalls, Will See More Budget Cuts (N.Y Times 12/14/11)
- Gov. Jerry Brown Announces Deeper Cuts to California Colleges and Child Care (Sac. Bee 12/14/11)
- California Schools Decry End to Busing Funds (A.P. 12/14/11)
- Marin Schools Expect Smaller Impact from Budget Cuts Than Initially Feared (Marin I.J. 12/13/11)